An Taisce is a Company Limited by Guarantee originally established in 1948. Its role is to act as a non-governmental organisation to promote conservation, renewal and permanent preservation of heritage. It is also staturory consulytee under the Planning and development Acts.
President: Professor John Sweeney
Chairman: Charles Stanley-Smith
Heritage Officer: Ian Lumley
Its Headquarters is
The 1994 Planning Regulations (s amended) provide that where a planning authority receives a valid planning application they shall send notice to, amongst other bodies, An Taisce, where it appears to them that:
( a ) where it appears to the planning authority that the land or structure is situate in an area of special amenity, whether or not an order in respect of that area has been made under section 42 of the Act of 1963, or that the development or retention of the structure would obstruct any view or prospect of special amenity value or special interest
( c ) where it appears to the planning authority that the development would be unduly close to any cave, site, feature or other object of archaeological, geological, scientific or historical interest, or would detract from the appearance of any building of artistic, architectural or historical interest, or, in either case, would obstruct any scheme for improvement of the surroundings of or any means of access to any such place, object or structure
An Taisce may also avail of a reduced fee when making an appeal to An Bord Pleanala.
An Taisce has 19 branches in Carlow, Cork, West Cork, North-west Donegal, South-west Donegal, Dublin City, Dun laoghaire, Dublin South County, Galway, Kerry, North Kildare, South Kildare, Kilkenny, Louth, Meath, Tipperary North and South Riding, Waterford and Wexford.
An Taisce has a number of policy committees dealing with:
Natural Environment Committee
Built Environment Committee
Heritage Gardens and Designed Landscapes Sub-Committee
For more information click here