The imposing Butler stronghold of Cahir Castle was built on a rock-island in the River Suir.
View of the curtain wall and great hall of Cahir Castle, Co. Tipperary.
Cahir Castle is built on a rock outcrop on an island in the River Suir at the point where the old road from Cork to Dublin crossed the river in what is now the town of Cahir, Co. Tipperary. The castle is a multi-period structure with most remains dating to after 1300. It has a large outer ward at the south with circular towers at the southern corners. There is an inner ward with a gatehouse in the middle of the south wall, which has square towers at the north and a small circular tower at the south-east. Between the two wards is a rectangular walled area, the middle ward. The three storey rectangular keep in the south-wall of the inner ward was opriginally a gatehouse. The inner ward also conatins a domestic tower and the great hall. The castle was rebuilt on a number of occasions and has remains of the thirteenth, fifteenth, sixteenth and seventeenth centuries as well as the nineteenth century restoration.
Cahir was granted to James Butler, Earl of Ormond, in 1375 and the construction of the castle commenced after this. The castle was held by a branch of the Butler family known as the Butler’s of Cahir until 1599 when it was besieged and taken by the Earl of Essex during the Nine Years War. Returned to the Butlers the castle was besieged and surrendered to Lord Inchiquin in 1647 and then to Oliver Cromwell in 1650. The Butlers finally lost it completely in 1693. In 1961 the Castle came to the Irish State and is now managed by the Office of Public Works.
Exhibitions, Toilets, Public Car/Coach park close to site.
Open all year round:
Mid Oct - Mid March: Daily 09.30 - 16.30
Mid March - Mid June: Daily 09.30 - 17.30
Mid June - August; Daily 09.00 - 18.30
Sept - Mid Oct: Daily 09.30 - 17.30
Admission Fees 2011
E Adult: €3.00