The Mungret Abbey dates back to 551 AD when a monastery was founded here by St. Nessan.
Just to the south of the road from Limerick to Askeaton on the R859 road close to Castlemungret are the Mungret churches. The site dates back to 551 when a monastery was founded here by St. Nessan. The site was given by Domhnall Mor O’Brien to Bishop Brictius of Limerick some time before 1200 and the site was downgraded to the status of a parish church. At one time the site had six churches, today only three churches and a graveyard survive.
Next to the road is a twelfth century church. This is a narrow structure with an east window and flat-headed west doorway. The largest church on the site, with the square tower on the western end, and surrounded by the graveyard is the parish church which dates from the first half of the thirteenth century with later additions. Although only a parish church the site has the feel of a Medieval cathedral. To the west of this is a small rectangular church which is probably the earliest church on the site.
View Mungret in a larger map
GPS coordinates 52.633792,-8.675594