On the way from Dublin to Carlow, just south-west of the new town of Kilcullen are the remains of the monastery of Old Kilcullen. The monastery of Old Kilcullen, one of the oldest in Ireland, was founded by St. Patrick, first Bishop and patron saint of Ireland, in the fifth century. The remains on the site are a Round Tower with round-headed Romanesque doorway, the foundations only of a thirteenth century Romanesque church and the remains of three High crosses. The monastery stood at the centre of a fortified town, now deserted, but inhabited into the eighteenth century.
View Larger Map
GPS coordinates 53.10835,-6.76363
G. Ó h-Iceadha 1941. Excavation of Church Site in Old Kilcullen Townland, Co. Kildare The Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland Seventh Series, Vol. 11, No. 4 (Dec. 31, 1941), pp. 148-151.