Claregalway Friary, near Galway City, Co. Galway
On the N17 road from Galway to Tuam just outside the northern side of the town of Claregalway next to the River Clare are the ruins of an impressive Franciscan Friary. The Friary was founded by John de Cogan in 1290.



The Friary is now ruined and what survives is a nave and chancel church and part of the monastic cloister. At a later period a northern aisle was added to the church and the tower and north transept were added in the fifteenth century. Like the other Irish monasteries Claregalway was suppresed during the reformation in the sixteenth century and it's lands granted to Richard de Burgh. The site is a National Monument in the ownership of the Irish State.


View Larger Map

GPS coordinates 53.35091,-8.943129

Further reading

Harold Leask 1960. Irish Churches and Monastic Buildings, Vol. II, 94 and 130.

 
Copyright © 2017 Cultural Heritage Ireland. Bringing you the best of Irish cultural heritage.. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.