The Browne-Clayton Monument in Wexford is a copy of the triumphal column erected by the Roman Emperor Diocletion in Alexandria.
The Browne-Clayton Monument in Co. Wexford. Image by Liam Murphy.
The Browne-Clayton Monument on Carrigadaggan Hill between New Ross and Wexford town was commissioned by General Robert Browne-Clayton to commemorate Sir Ralph Abercrombie, commander of the British army in Egypt, who was killed in the battle of Alexandria in 1801. The monument was designed by Thomas Cobden and consists of a free standing granite Corinthian column 28.75m high. It is a copy of the so-called Pompey’s Pillar in Alexandria in Egypt which was actually erected by the Roman Emperor Diocletian in AD 279. The column was built between 1839 and 1841. It has an internal spiral staircase that leads to a viewing platform inside the column’s capital. In 1994 the column was struck by lightning and damaged. The restoration of the monument took place between 2002 and 2004 was sponsored by the World Monuments Fund; the Irish Heritage Council; the Department of Arts, Heritage, Gaeltacht and Islands; and an Taisce who established The Wexford Monument Trust to carry out the work.