The Motte and Bailey Castle at Nobber, Co. Meath
The Motte and Bailey castle of Nobber is situated on the R162 Navan to Kingscourt road, to the north of the town of Nobber just before the crossing of the River Dee. The original Irish placename an Obair means "the work" and refers to the Motte and Bailey.


View of the Motte and bailey Castle at Nobber, Co. Meath.

The Motte and Bailey castle of Nobber is situated on the R162 Navan to Kingscourt road, to the north of the town of Nobber just before the crossing of the River Dee. The original Irish placename an Obair means "the work" and refers to the Motte and Bailey.

The Motte and Bailey now consists of a flat-topped earthen mound 6.5m high and 40m wide surrounded by a ditch. This would originally have supported a wooden tower. The Bailey is a rectangular area to the south-east of the Motte that would originally have been protected by a wooden stockade with a gateway.

The Motte was originally built by Hugh de Lacy Lord of Meath as a caput or defended headquarters for Gilbert de Angulo, a Knight who had been granted the barony of Morgallion. In 1196 de Angulo was outlawed and Nobber returned to the Control of the de Lacys. In 1244 it passed through marriage to David FitzWilliam Baron of Naas and in 1386 to Christopher Preston. The Motte appears to have remained in use through the fifteenth century as it was attacked by the Bernard MacMahon in 1425 and O’Neill and O’Donnell in 1434. The Motte may have been refortified in 1573 and may have been used by Preston in the campaign of 1585. The Motte was still in use in 1648 when it was taken by Sir Henry Tichborne during the War of the Three Kingdoms.

Google Maps image of the location of Motte and Bailey Castle at Nobber, Co. Meath.

GPS coordinates 53.823709,-6.752805

Further reading
.

 
Copyright © 2017 Cultural Heritage Ireland. Bringing you the best of Irish cultural heritage.. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.