St. Catherine’s is perhaps most famous as the site of the execution of the Clonakilty born Robert Emmet.
View of the facade of St. Catherine's church, Dublin
St. Catherine’s church is situated near the centre of the city of Dublin on the corner of Thomas St. and Thomas Court and just over half a kilometre west of Christ Church Cathedral. The first St. Catherine’s church on the site was built by the Monks of St. Thomas Abbey on the abbey lands in the parish of St. James as a chapel of ease for those who could not attend the main Abbey church. The Medieval church was demolished in the eighteenth century and replaced with the current St. Catherine’s which was designed by John Smith and built between 1760 and 1769. The new St. Catherine’s is a four bay structure built of granite in the classical Tuscan-style with a facade of Doric semi-columns supporting a pediment and two paired pilasters at each corner, and square tower. Internally the building is an eighteenth century style galleried church.
St. Catherine’s is perhaps most famous as the site of the execution of the Clonakilty born Robert Emmet. Emmet was an Irish Republican leader who lead an attempted rebellion against British rule in July 1803. The rebellion was a failure and Emmet was captured the following month. Following his trial for treason on 19 September he was hanged and beheaded in front of St. Catherine’s church on the 20 September 1803. A plaque on the footpath outside the church railings marks the site of the execution.
Google maps image of the location of St. Catherine's church, Dublin.
GPS coordinates 53.343091,-6.281138