View of the north-facing side of Manorhamilton castle.
Situated on the northern side of the town of Manorhamilton on the R280 road, just to the north of the main Sligo to Enniskillen road, is a seventeenth century plantation castle. The castle is situated on a local high point and enclosed on the eastern side by a tributary of the Owenmore River. The castle was built by Sir Frederick Hamilton between 1634-8. Hamilton was a large-scale planter who had been granted a large area of County Leitrim in 1621. The castle is a rectangular structure, open to the north, with four corner towers set within a rectangular area enclosed by a bawn wall with 2 lookout towers. The castle withstood attacks in 1641 during the Irish rebellion but was taken and burned by the Earl of Clanrickard in 1652 during the War of the Three Kingdoms. The castle is in private ownership and is the subject of a restoration project.
Hamilton's march from Sligo in 1642 during the Irish Rebellion also features in a short story by W. B. Yeats, entitled The curse Of The Fires And Of The Shadows.
Manorhamilton Castle and Heritage Centre is open throughout the year to the general public and organised tours.
On display is a permanent exhibition including artefacts from the 17th century, replica period costumes & furniture, a Castle model and other interesting items & information.
A tour of the recently restored Castle ruins and grounds can be taken – conducted by an experienced guide. The colourful story of the Castle, it inhabitants and the local area will be recounted in the course of this informative and enjoyable tour.
Please Note: All visits must be arranged in advance.
To organise your visit please contact:
Mr. Tony Daly
Phone: +353 (0)86 2502 593
For more information click here